I never knew what I recognise as "that old and huge house on the corner" which I have passed countless times ever since I was a child has been turned into such an exquisite tea house until I saw this amazing post by uponafold who seems to have the best eyes for finding the best designs and places in Japan than anyone from Japan (seriously!). Baishinka - Yakumosaryo is produced by the same people of HIGASHIYA which I never got a chance to visit before they closed it, so I was really happy to find that this beautiful space is within an easy bike riding distance from my apartment.

I think I have said it many times here before but I love old Japanese house. Sadly many of the beautiful and big old houses get demolished because of the high inheritance tax in Japan, but what they did to this house is truly admirable.

Yakumo Saryo - Baishinka
3-4-7 Yakumo, Meguro-ku Tokyo (google map)
It's in a little tricky location but there is a bus from Jiyugaoka that goes here. Take Tokyu Bus #11 that goes to Shibuya, get off at Yagumo Koukou and walk back a couple of minutes. Or you can walk from Jiyugaoka or Toritsudaigaku station, both a 15-minute-plus walk. If you prefer to walk it's easier from Jiyugaoka, just walk along Jiyu-Dori Street.

11 comments

  1. Such a heavenly looking tea house! And that macha in the first pic looks oishi!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so serene and so beautiful! And great to hear you discovered something like this so close to home.

    I love the old Japanese architecture too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i`d like to visit this house!the space is beautiful there

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a space. the windows are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful place! I'll definitely pen this down when I visit Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks a wonderful space for quiet contemplation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a beautiful place!!!
    love that plate in the first image :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even it was an old house but thoroughly love it and it good to have a preservation of this kind of house cause we cannot see cause seldom people lived an old house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos make me dream! I also like the old Japanese houses, it's beautiful and really charming. Too bad if they are destroyed ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went there after you wrote about it.
    I was sitting at the same place as you... funny ;-)
    Thank you very much for the recommendation, it was a wonderful experience.
    Love your blog !

    ReplyDelete

your kind words are always welcome and appreciated! arigato :)

Instagram